Featured Post

Tips for New Social Work Graduate (MSW) Students

Image
  Happy start of the school year! Perusing social media, I came across a NASW blog article called “Guide for the First Year Social Work Student”. This post provided lots of great information tailored for new undergraduate students interested in studying social work. I wanted to take that NASW post a bit farther and compile a list of tips specific to graduate students pursuing a masters in social work (MSW). In my opinion, graduate school is a completely different experience from undergraduate, so my hope is that these tips will serve to be beneficial. Tips for New Social Work Graduate (MSW) Students -Don’t worry about grades so much When I was in graduate school, one of my professors told a story about a straight A student who committed suicide several years after graduation. His point was that given the people we need to work with, we social workers need to focus less on being perfectionists (as demonstrated by obsessing over grades and test scores) and work on being empathetic and co

Stitch Fix Review #2

If you are unfamiliar with the Stitch Fix shopping service and want an overview, please go here first: Stitch Fix Review #1

After some success with my first Stitch Fix, I was really looking forward to my second.  After saving up some money and looking at multiple reviews on the internet, I finally placed my order.  This time, I requested the 41Hawthorn 3/4 Benson Blazer in dark grey or burgundy, the Yumi: Wilhinina Polka Dot Belted Skater Dress in blue and yellow, and dresses.

When my order arrived, I was sad to see that my two requested items were not included, with no explanation as to why.  However, I was pleased that Stitch Fix honored my request for multiple dresses.  Here's how my Fix turned out:

Item #1: Brentwood Tiered Striped Sheath Dress

stitch fix

I really had high hopes for this dress.  In the past, I had luck with bandage style dresses flattering my figure.  I also liked the non-symmetrical design of the dress, which masks my scoliosis.  Unfortunately, this particular dress made me look at least 15 pounds heavier.  I also did not like that the front pattern did not extend all the way around the back (see below).

stitch fix

Verdict: RETURNED


Item #2: Yola Abstract Print Faux Wrap Dress
stitch fix

I also had high hopes for this dress since I'm a fan of wrap dresses.  Unfortunately, the top half of this dress was too baggy and the bottom half too long.  I also was not a fan of the print, which had a frumpy effect on me.

VERDICT: RETURNED


Item #3: 41Hawthorn Walt Striped Skirt ($68)

stitch fix

I normally don't wear horizontal stripes because they make me look wider.  However, I decided to give this skirt a chance.  The fit wasn't bad but, as is my problem with all pencil skirts, it started riding up after taking a few steps (see below).  Not worth the $68 price tag.

stitch fix
Skirt after a few steps
 Verdict:  RETURNED


Item #4: Harriet Aztec Print Fit and Flare Dress

stitch fix

Down to my last two items, I was hoping to find something to keep so I didn't lose my $20 styling fee.  Unfortunately, this dress just didn't work for me.  The top half is made of a stretchy polyester which seemed to accentuate my scoliosis and chest size.  The bottom half was way too long and full, making me look pregnant.

Verdict:  RETURNED


Item #5: Abigail Colorblock Lace Trim Top

stitch fix

I actually really liked the color of this last item.  Unfortunately, as a friend pointed out, the blouse was cut such that it looked really narrow up top and made my hips look bigger.  Not worth the $58 price tag.

Verdict: RETURNED

After the luck I had with my first Stitch Fix, I was really disappointed that this one was such an utter failure.  I'll probably update my profile again and give Stitch Fix one more chance to see if things improve with my next Fix.  It's a promising service, but if the clothes don't work for my body I'm just going to lose $20 with each order.  For my next Fix, I'll ask them to dress me up for Generation Beauty, a fashion and cosmetics convention which takes place in June!  Wish me luck!

If you are interested in trying out Stitch Fix, feel free to use my referral link here:  https://www.stitchfix.com/referral/3203420.  No, I am not affiliated with Stitch Fix in any way, shape, or form. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Want To Leave Social Work

Tips for New Social Work Graduate (MSW) Students

A Day in the Life of a Medical Social Worker