Featured Post

Tips for New Social Work Graduate (MSW) Students

Image
  Happy start of the school year! Perusing social media, I came across a NASW blog article called “Guide for the First Year Social Work Student”. This post provided lots of great information tailored for new undergraduate students interested in studying social work. I wanted to take that NASW post a bit farther and compile a list of tips specific to graduate students pursuing a masters in social work (MSW). In my opinion, graduate school is a completely different experience from undergraduate, so my hope is that these tips will serve to be beneficial. Tips for New Social Work Graduate (MSW) Students -Don’t worry about grades so much When I was in graduate school, one of my professors told a story about a straight A student who committed suicide several years after graduation. His point was that given the people we need to work with, we social workers need to focus less on being perfectionists (as demonstrated by obsessing over grades and test scores) and work on being empathetic and co

My Social Work Values

Social Work Values
I originally wrote this short post regarding my social work values several years ago but never published it. I'm publishing it now to remind myself that despite how burned out I feel, I am and will fundamentally always be a social worker at heart.


Sometimes, I feel so burned out by my job that I can't help but feel apathy about my patients and the social issues affecting society. During these times, I wonder if I still have the social worker mindset and belong in the social worker profession. Then, I interact with the people around me and am starkly reminded that deep down, I'm still a social worker. If you feel infuriated by any of the following, then you probably are too!

  • Retelling a story about a patient and having the first response be, "That person was black, right?"  
  • Being told that mental illness is "just in someone's head" and that they simply need to "snap out of it". 
  • Being told that people who attempt/commit suicide are "being selfish". 
  • After an exhausting day at work, being told that your job is 1) easy or 2) worthless. 
  • Trying to explain the mechanics of alcohol relapse to someone, only to be told, "People who relapse are weak." 
  • Being told that poor people are in that situation because they're lazy and that all safety net programs need to be eliminated completely. 
  • Being told that people SHOULD be discriminated against based on sexual orientation. 
  • Seeing social workers perform their job poorly, because it reflects on you and the entire profession. 
  • Hearing one of the various stereotypes associated with the social work profession (i.e. "baby snatcher", "food stamp lady", "free stuff person", etc.) 
  • Hearing people without BSWs or MSWs refer to themselves as "social workers". 

As emotionally exhausting and my disheartening my job can be at times, it doesn't change the fact that on a fundamental level, I still care about helping the poor, sick, mentally ill, and disenfranchised. Unless something happens to completely shake my worldview, I doubt these social work values will ever change. Even if I burn out to the point I choose to leave the profession, I know that I will always be a social worker at heart.

Comments

  1. Nice and great post on social work values. I want to inform you that point wise describing post is great. I want to see more post from your side. In India, manisha bapna is performing social services for improvement of the Women. She is doing work for women empowerment in India.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you want to see your website or blog on Google's first page ??? And want to beat your website or blog ranking ?? Your website and blog will be displayed on the first page of Google through the SEO service, completely and beautifully. And get more visitors.

    Click this for more details :""SEO services provider""

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your post. This is excellent information. It is amazing and wonderful to visit your site.
    mbe supplier in software services
    mbe sas partner

    ReplyDelete
  5. The reason I liked here is that this party venue is so intimate and personable and while having astounding atmosphere! Really more suited and perfect for experiencing great food and having a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great Content
    Buy Xanax Bars 2mg Xanax Bars ( Alprazolam )

    Adderall contains a combination of amphetamine and dextroamphetamine. Adderall is used in the treatment of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and narcolepsy. It is also used as an athletic performance enhancer and cognitive enhancer, and recreationally as an aphrodisiac and euphoriant. This medication is generally well-tolerated and effective in treating the symptoms of ADHD and narcolepsy. At therapeutic doses, Adderall causes emotional and cognitive effects such as euphoria, change in desire for sex, increased wakefulness, and improved cognitive control.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Want To Leave Social Work

Tips for New Social Work Graduate (MSW) Students

A Day in the Life of a Medical Social Worker